Saturday, September 27, 2014

Grits with Vegan Sausage Gravy

I like a savory breakfast over a sweet one every time.  I also like my breakfast to be sturdy so that I'm not starving at 11:00am.  This one fits the bill nicely.



















I started with Tofu Mom's Vegan Sausage Gravy and make my own changes.  Here is my version:

Grits  with Vegan Sausage Gravy

 1 Tb olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1 large shallot, diced
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 package vegan sausage ( I used the kind in a tube that was 14 oz)
2 Tb vegan butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups unsweetnened, unflavored non-dairy milk ( I used almond milk)
scant 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sage
several grinds of fresh cracked pepper to taste
several dashes of hot sauce to taste
1 tsp vegan worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
Grits 


Saute the onion, shallot, and garlic in the olive oil for a few minutes in a large frying pan.  Crumble in the vegan sausage and add the vegan butter and brown the sausage over med-high heat.  Lower the heat and sprinkle in the flour and let cook for a few minutes.  Pour in 1/2 the milk and cook and scrape up the bits from the bottom of the pan.  Stir until it starts to thicken and add the rest of the milk.  You can add more milk or water if you would like it less thick.   Add in the salt, sage, pepper, hot sauce and worcestershire and paprika.

Cook your grits according to package directions and then add some to a bowl and top with some gravy and enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment