Creamy Tomato Soup (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
This soup is easy enough for a weeknight and makes a delicious meal with some sourdough toast and a salad.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 shallots, peeled and diced
- 3 medium cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- two 28-ounce cans tomatoes (preferably San Marzano)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¾ cup raw cashews, boiled in water to cover for 8 minutes and drained.
- ⅓ cup packed fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp granulated garlic
- Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook for 5-7 minutes stirring often.
- Add the tomatoes and liquid, 2 cups of the vegetable stock, thyme, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine, then bring to a low boil.
- Blend the cashews with the remaining 1 cup of vegetable stock in a blender until smooth. Stir into the soup.
- Add the basil, balsamic vinegar, salt, granulated garlic and black pepper to taste.
- Turn the heat off.
- Use a stick blender to blend the soup in the pot until smooth. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
Adapted from this recipe at www.picklesnhoney.com